Skip to main content

My way from a Siberian woman to myself

Tomsk oblast, Siberia
Tomsk oblast, Siberia





 At the age of 17, I was a cheerful green-eyed girl dreaming of my own family and a cozy home. I thought my whole life was ahead of me.

 At 18, I got married with the firm belief that my husband is older, and therefore smarter.

At the age of 19, I realized what Mtsyri (in Georgian, Novice in English) meant when he said: “Oh, I would be happy to hug with the storm like a brother”. I stopped being afraid of the thunder. It became the personification of freedom for me.

The Novice (Mtsyri, in Georgian, Мцыри in Russian) is a poem by Mikhail Lermontov written in 1839 and first published in 1840, hailed as “one of the last examples of the classic Russian romantic poetry,” according to the Lermontov Encyclopedia.

Also, I stopped smiling. I was always serious and focused – all the chores around a house were mine. I had to learn to plan much in advance, make lists, and analyze. I also learned how to cheat, flatter, and even read minds. And despite all that, I wasn't a good enough wife. My husband planted the seeds of inferiority in me. And they became to sprout.

At the age of 34, I worked in the office for a little bit. Once there was a hitch with the copier. One of the colleagues joked: “Did you get afraid that you broke the copy machine?”. I burst out: “I’ve been married for so many years that I’m not afraid of anything!”.  My colleague was shocked, and so was I. Can you imagine, lucky marriage, 17-year-old girl has dreamed about, has turned into a harsh school of life.


Soon after, the process of healing from the inferiority complex began. Life became easier, more fun and more interesting. I began to think not about the meaning of life, as it often happens, but about its quality. I understood that there is only one life.  And only I am the mistress of my destiny. I’ve created a dream and a plan of action. The implementation of the plan required an incredible emotional effort. But I’ve “graduated” from the “harsh school of life”. So, my dream came true!


In my 40-es I wrote to a friend: “Natasha, my dream came true. How can I live now?”. She replied: “Do not worry, you will come up with a new one!»


Morality: an inferiority complex is not death but the engine. The most important thing is to create your dream the correct way (with details and minutiae). If you don’t want to end up like me – I moved to live in America instead of Finland as I wished.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four days and Three nights of Vacation in Vermont

  I love going on vacation, but I love coming back even more. I'll tell you about the most remarkable activities for me. I will try briefly… We spent one night out of 3 in a tent. (We actually planned to have 2 nights in a tent, but the weather decided for us).  We visited Sugarbush Farm and Billings Farm & Museum, stopped at a store selling sheds and cottages, looked at the cider production process (Woods cider Mill), met with a representative of the company that will drill a well on our site, and asked questions to city officials.  And, of course, we admired the beauty of the season. It’s a pity that we couldn’t stop on the highway for photography.  At this time of the year, tourists travel to Vermont and New Hampshire specifically to admire the foliage. Daniel heard about the town of Woodstock even before the vacation. Therefore, we began to look for sights that can be seen there. As the first attraction, Google gave us The Sugarbush Farm. Google says: “ Rural...

Old New Year

  Do you know what day is today (Jan 13)?  Russians celebrate the Old New Year on the night of January 13-14. How did it happen that Russians celebrate the New Year twice?  Simply by adopting a different calendar. Of course, it was not really simple, but after the October Revolution (1917), the Bolsheviks switched from the Julian calendar to Gregorian one. Because of this, all the dates moved 13 days ahead. The year 1919 began on January 1st but in accordance with the new Gregorian calendar. The Julian calendar was 2 weeks behind the Gregorian one, as a result of which the celebration of the new year was postponed from January 14th to January 1st. The Old New year isn't an official holiday. There are definitely no people who would remember the old calendar. Russians, by definition, like to celebrate holidays. The more reasons to celebrate, the better. The Old New Year is usually less festive. There may be no more gifts under the tree.  Many Russians will wait until t...

From May Snow to Summer Mosquitoes: A Tale of Two Cities

  May 22, and it is snowing in Tomsk. You could say "still" or "again"—both would sound right. And yet, the cool May weather hasn't slowed down the mosquitoes. According to a report by RIA Tomsk, cold weather doesn't kill off the larvae of these blood-sucking insects. The early-spring species have already taken flight "to hunt," and a mass emergence is expected by late May when warmer weather finally arrives. I wish I could say that we don't have mosquito problems here, but we do. I think a lot of it depends on neighbors who keep containers or pools of stagnant water in their backyards, where mosquitoes happily breed and multiply. My husband already got his first bite of the season. Let’s hope for the best this summer. For now, though, Tomichi (Tomsk citizens) aren't too worried about mosquitoes; their real problem, now and always, is ticks. Tomsk had a few warm days earlier this spring, and the ticks became active immediately. Every sprin...